Ecological studies of Flora, Fauna with special emphasis on Migratory Aquatic Birds
Wetlands are defined as ‘area of marsh, fen, peat land or water whether natural or artificial permanent or temporary with water static or lotic, brackish or salt including areas of marine water the depth of which at low tide does not exceed six meters (Anon. 1971).
All wetlands in India have a number of valuable functions, tampering its function can quickly degrade the value of wetland. Some of the products of wetland have been lost or vanished until they are recognized. Birds are one of the major components in the eco-system. MacArthur and MacArthur (1961) studied bird diversities, components and its interaction.
The present studies will be conducted at Lotus pond, Hyderabad known for its rich diversities of Flora and Fauna components especially it acts as a reservoir for wintering large number of migratory birds.
Objectives of the Project:
- Listing of Flora and Fauna
- Zonation of wetlands
- Ecological classification of Flora and Fauna based on communities
- Analysis of water
- Micro habitat analysis of soil
- Factors affecting water quality in relation to bird population and dispersal
- Map the roosting sites, Population in each roost
- Arrival of migratory birds, ecological niches for each species
- Population estimation, composition, abundance, diversity and richness
- Seasonal fluctuations and factors affecting the population during migration
Feeding behaviour based on Families
- Feeding Range
- Foraging behaviour
- Variation in food habits in breeding & non-breeding birds
- Availability and abundance of food & correlation between birds and food
Goals to be achieved:
The following goals will be achieved during the course of study.
- Status and checklist of aquatic birds.
- Limnological studies of the pond.
- Species diversity and species composition of birds.
- Population densities of aquatic birds.
- Establishing communities in wetland conservation and management.
- Monitoring of wetland management, particularly wetland resources to the long-term success of wetland conservation.
- Conservation and management plan for birds & wetland.